Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Alden began his fellowship in hip and knee reconstruction surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. While there, he trained in the latest approaches to hip and knee replacement, minimally invasive surgery, and complex revision joint replacement.
With a particular interest in using innovative techniques, Dr. Alden strives to achieve the best results for active patients with hip and knee arthritis, offering both non-surgical and surgical treatments.
Dr. Alden specializes in the direct anterior approach to total hip replacement surgery. This is a minimally invasive technique that provides less discomfort, a faster recovery, and enhanced mobility for patients undergoing hip surgery. He also performs customized knee replacements which allow the surgeon to tailor the surgery to a patient’s unique knee anatomy, reducing the risk of misalignment. These technologies improve the patient’s outcome by extending implant longevity and helping the patient regain an active lifestyle. Dr. Alden performs complex revision surgeries including direct anterior hip revision surgery, distal femur replacement, and total femur replacement.
Dr. Alden strives to significantly improve the quality of life for his patients, focusing on increasing their level of activity and mobility. He dedicates much time during appointments to answering questions and explaining reasoning for recommended care. Dr. Alden and his team do the utmost to provide you with the highest level of care.
- Fellowship Training: Lower Extremity Joint Reconstruction - Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN (2007-2008)
- Residency Training: Orthopedic Surgery - Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (2002-2007); Chief Resident (2006-2007)
- Medical Degree and PhD: University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, Department of Phsiology & Biophysics (1994-2002); Outstanding Thesis Award (2003)
- Graduate Degree: MS, Biology - Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL (1991-1993)
- Undergraduate Degree: BA, Biology - University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (1987-1991)
- Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon Specializing in Hip, Knee, and Shoulder Reconstruction
- Partner, Hinsdale Orthopaedics
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery University of Chicago
Medical Training and Leadership Accomplishments
Dr. Alden was part of the exclusive MD/PhD program at the University of Illinois at Chicago, where he was awarded the Kate and Michael Barany award for research and scholarship.
Following medical school, Dr. Alden trained in all aspects of orthopedic surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. Subsequent to residency, he completed a fellowship sub-specialization in hip and knee reconstruction at the Mayo Clinic where, as a fellow-in-training, he worked with some of the top surgeons in the country.
During his postgraduate work, Dr. Alden was an award-winning researcher. His academic pursuits were published in numerous peer-reviewed journals and he has authored multiple book chapters related to orthopaedic surgery. As a practicing surgeon, Dr. Alden has lectured on and trained other surgeons in novel and complex joint reconstruction techniques across North America and Europe.